OGN Viewers Discussion
J6 aka Airport Bum
2022-02-07 21:28:55 UTC
Soaring Friends,

As I mentioned in my post on real-time glider tracking, I would like to start a discussion thread on OGN viewers.

The OGN viewers I am aware of are:
https://glideandseek.com/
https://glidertracker.org/
https://www.weglide.org/live?
https://live.glidernet.org/
https://www.gliderradar.com/

Also, there is an iPhone app:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/aufwind-glider-tracker/id1526313985

And apparently there are several Android apps also (I am not an Android user - yet).

Are there other OGN viewers that I did not list here?

I would invite people with experience using these viewers to post comments here on the pros and cons of the various viewers. Especially useful would be if someone has a strong favorite, it would be nice to hear why.

I have just started looking at these viewers, and I will post my questions and comments also, in the next few days/weeks.

Thank you,
Jim J6
Moshe Braner
2022-02-08 02:10:29 UTC
Post by J6 aka Airport Bum
[...]
Some brief notes I've taken recently:

Given what we got used to with Glideport, OLC and WeGlide, I'd like to
see the tracks (not just current position), and would like to see that
after the flight is over, too. Also would like to see a barogram, i.e.,
altitude over time in a separate graph.

live.glidernet.org - no tracks

https://glidertracker.org/ - limited tracks

https://www.gliderradar.com/ - shows tracks, up to an hour

glideandseek.com - shows tracks, remembers last area

http://www.livetrack24.com/tracks - shows tracks & barogram - includes
past days (OGN data too?) - rather slow

https://skylines.aero/tracking - track and barograph! But does it show
OGN data?
kinsell
2022-02-08 04:27:20 UTC
Post by Moshe Braner
https://www.gliderradar.com/ - shows tracks, up to an hour
Last I knew, they had an option to show an hour long track, but it
really only went to 30 minutes.
Ron Gleason
2022-02-11 20:56:35 UTC
Post by kinsell
Post by Moshe Braner
https://www.gliderradar.com/ - shows tracks, up to an hour
Last I knew, they had an option to show an hour long track, but it
really only went to 30 minutes.
If you have not read this page you can find lots of information about OGN, viewers etc

http://wiki.glidernet.org/start
Paul Remde
2022-02-11 22:48:58 UTC

I apologize is this is a stupid question - Can the OGN pages below display my Garmin InReach tracking? Do I need to sign-up on those sites?

The Oudie N can display OGC traffic. I'd love for my Garmin inReach to show-up there.

Thanks,

Paul Remde
______________
Jim J6
Moshe Braner
2022-02-12 00:25:46 UTC
Can the OGN [viewer] pages below display my Garmin InReach tracking? Do I need to sign-up on those sites?
The OGN viewer pages display data that is available in the OGN data
servers. Those two things are independent of each other. "Signing up"
in any sense to a viewer does not affect the data servers. It may only
affect some viewing options, e.g., whether a given viewer remembers your
preferences.

Garmin Inreach on its own does not feed data to the OGN servers. If you
sign up with the bridge mechanism Davis Chappins set up, it will forward
the Inreach data to OGN. Then ANY of the OGN viewing sites will display it.
J6 aka Airport Bum
2022-02-12 00:33:07 UTC
No such thing as a stupid question, as long as it is asked in sincerity.... See:

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.aviation.soaring/c/1zYbIJe7AkY/m/b9V3v4MFAQAJ

The first post in this thread tells how to sign up with Davis' service, which ports a satellite locator's data to the OGN data stream, to do what you want to do.

I think it might make sense to register with the Open Glider Network also. See http://ddb.glidernet.org/

Bravo Davis for doing this!

Cheers,
Jim J6
Hi,
______________
Tim from Pure Glide
2024-01-06 02:57:29 UTC
Post by J6 aka Airport Bum
Are there other OGN viewers that I did not list here?
Yip I've made PureTrack:
https://puretrack.io

PureTrack receives all data from the OGN plus:
- ADSB Hub
- Flight Radar 24 (in select locations, NZ and the Minden at present)
- Various Phone apps
- Dedicated cellular trackers (handy so you don't have to remember to enable/disable your phone tracker)
- SPOT
- InReach

It's free to use, with an upgraded plan available for more features.
Let me know if you like it!
Eric G
2024-01-06 17:24:01 UTC
Post by Tim from Pure Glide
Post by J6 aka Airport Bum
Are there other OGN viewers that I did not list here?
https://puretrack.io
- ADSB Hub
- Flight Radar 24 (in select locations, NZ and the Minden at present)
- Various Phone apps
- Dedicated cellular trackers (handy so you don't have to remember to enable/disable your phone tracker)
- SPOT
- InReach
It's free to use, with an upgraded plan available for more features.
Let me know if you like it!
It seems quite nice. Is the an AGL option? Just altitude is not very useful, given the
6000' or more variations in airport elevation.