RAFGSA Bicester
l***@gmail.com
2014-07-01 21:29:33 UTC
Just wondering how many of us have flown at Bicester and when.
Flew at Bicester the week Andy Gough was killed 1982. I came from Northern Ireland for an advanced course and Andy returned me to unit for burning out the clutch on the bus.
John Carlyle
2014-07-02 16:36:59 UTC
I realize this is an ancient thread, but since it was resurrected - I had my first glider experience in 1992 out of Bicester with Jerry O'Dell piloting, when he and I were working together at Brize Norton on VC-10s.

-John, Q3
s***@gmail.com
2014-10-07 11:08:16 UTC
Just wondering how many of us have flown at Bicester and when.
I flew at Bicester during my service and I had a bad accident with a winch cable. Thanks to an American Airman I am here to tell the tale.

BJ
w***@gmail.com
2014-10-09 23:08:48 UTC
Bob Johnson?
i***@gmail.com
2017-11-05 20:18:37 UTC
what year was that I think my dad served there with you
a***@gmail.com
2014-10-07 18:43:18 UTC
Just wondering how many of us have flown at Bicester and when.
I started flying there when I arrived at Upper Heyford AFB (F-111's) in '71, Andy Gough in command. Jock Wishard? second in command. They were very welcoming to us USAF types, and I soloed there in a K-8.
However, one must arrive, ready to push out gliders just after the crack of dawn, even in the dead of winter, and one was expected to say until the hanger doors were closed and everyone retired to the little pub room to settle up. Great memories. Monty Montieth was there, Dave Martin, and I remember Ian Strachan although he wouldn't remember me. Also John Glossop. I crewed for Montieth at the Nationals in Herefordshire in fall '71.
I later went on to fly at Dunstable, High Wycombe (Chris ??? CFI - great guy), And Lasham. D. Pigot checked me out for cloud flying in a falk, but I never put it use. Just as well.
AW
Colin Wray
2014-10-08 13:49:55 UTC
Just wondering how many of us have flown at Bicester and when.
I was there 1963-66 with Andy Gough, Ron Newall, Dick Stratton, Taff Thomas, Ian Strachan, Con Greaves, Groupie (spreaders) Goodbody, Paddy Kearon, and fresh from Halton - George Lee (he has often reminded me that I am in his logbook as instructor, which would have been in a T21).

Too many stories to tell here, but I have been at Dunstable since 1974, towed nearly 11,000 gliders with an assortment of tugs, and am still flying my Grob G109B.
a***@gmail.com
2014-10-08 15:01:24 UTC
Just wondering how many of us have flown at Bicester and when.
If I remember correctly, Paddy towed in a Chipmonk. It did not have a starter ....they started it with -believe it or not - shotgun shell blanks. Never seen anything like it!
Colin Wray
2014-10-08 20:18:49 UTC
All RAF Chipmunks had Coffman cartridge starters. They were only converted to electric when demobbed and put on the civil register.
Chris Rollings
2014-10-09 06:36:11 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
Just wondering how many of us have flown at Bicester and when.
If I remember correctly, Paddy towed in a Chipmonk. It did not have a
starter ....they started it with -believe it or not - shotgun shell
blanks. Never seen anything like it!
All RAF Chipmunks had Coffman cartridge starters. They were onl
converted
Post by a***@gmail.com
to electric when demobbed and put on the civil register.
That was because us Civvies would have needed a firearms license for th
cartridge starter!
s***@gmail.com
2014-10-09 09:53:18 UTC
Post by Colin Wray
Post by a***@gmail.com
to electric when demobbed and put on the civil register.
That was because us Civvies would have needed a firearms license for the
cartridge starter!
We also started them by hand in the 70's that was before they put the Lycoming engines in them.
s***@lycos.com
2014-10-14 13:38:16 UTC
Coffman cartridge starters.

See "Flight of the Phoenix":

Steve Leonard
2014-10-16 18:12:18 UTC
Coffman cartridge starters. See "Flight of the Phoenix": http://youtu.be/IACjOvyx5hs
Or, to see a "non Hollywood" cartridge start,

Steve
o***@gmail.com
2019-04-06 00:59:41 UTC
Whitson dont know if you remember me Peter Lewis email is ***@gmail.com
o***@gmail.com
2019-04-06 01:07:12 UTC
I remember all those names and was resident at Bicester from 1978 to 1984
Peter Lewis
s***@cox.net
2020-05-31 16:12:00 UTC
Just wondering how many of us have flown at Bicester and when.
Whitson, I learned to fly at Bicester, while at Heyford 83-85. You were also a Tug pilot, and Terry Joint was CFI. I left Bicester as a TSgt (462) to attend OTS. Came back to Bicester in late 80s to compete AASCAT Instructor course. Great memories.
Bought a K-7 stateside on recommendation from Dick Stratton, and flew it out in OK when I was stationed at Tinker AFB. Sold i in the '90s.

Chuck Sloan
USAF Ret