Dead Zone?
Frank Whiteley
2024-03-27 15:32:11 UTC
Seems like people gave up pretty quickly.
Dan Marotta
2024-03-27 15:43:55 UTC
Hi Frank,

Do you mean here on the new place?  I was surprised to see any thing.

Dan 5J
Tom BravoMike
2024-03-27 16:19:23 UTC
I'm staying here with the eternal-september and Thunderbird. If I have a
question or an observation I will post it here hoping that some people
are still checking this group. If necessary, I hope I can find what I
need to know somewhere/elsewhere.

Tom BravoMike
Dan Marotta
2024-03-27 16:41:15 UTC
I'm still using eternal-september and Thunderbird and it starts
automagically when I start Thunderbird.  I guess it doesn't cost
anything to let it idle along and, when there's a posting, I'll see a
pop up notification.  What could be easier?

Right now I'm playing with something I just learned about last night
while watching a computer maintenance channel on youtube. It's called
ventoy and it allows building a bootable USB drive containing all of
your various operating system ISO files, disk maintenance tool kits, etc.

I maintain an old(er) Windows 10 computer so my wife can update her car
GPS and do the taxes and I can exercise the turbo control unit on my
Stemme.  I also created an Ubuntu 22.04 ISO file which contains all of
the updates to a couple of months ago and I'll place a copy on this USB
drive along with everything else.  It'll be nice to have everything on
one bootable drive where I can select just what I want/need without
maintaining a stack of drives.  AND it's a different/good way to pass
the time and learn something new during my recuperation.

Dan 5J
Eric G
Dan Marotta
2024-03-27 18:39:18 UTC
Well...  While refueling my Cessna 180, I fell off the ladder and broke
the ball off my left femur.  That resulted in a total hip replacement.
I'm coming along but it's a big shock to the system and there's a lot of
physical therapy.  I'm getting there and hope to be flying again by the
end of next month.  My concern is that the effort to get into an
aircraft will have me napping shortly after takeoff...

Dan 5J
Eric G
maintenance tool kits, etc.
Dan Marotta

maintenance tool kits, etc.
Eric G
2024-03-28 18:53:53 UTC
Yep, have a couple ladders like that, also got an 8' regular ladder to replace the 6' one
I'd been using, so there is more ladder at the top to hang on to. And I crawl around on
the motorhome roof instead walking.
Eric G
maintenance tool kits, etc.
Eric G
2024-03-27 18:25:39 UTC
While you are waiting for a response here, I suggest you post the same on RAS_Prime.
You'll get a response much more quickly. I follow RAS here, where nothing happens, and on
RAS_Prime, which has had many interesting posts during the same period.
Eric G
Dan Marotta

Frank Whiteley
2024-03-27 23:49:55 UTC
Post by Frank Whiteley
Seems like people gave up pretty quickly.
Though I appreciate John DeRosa's effort, long term is not its future.
Remember Al McDonald's Silent Flight? He promised to keep the forum
going. Soaring is just a memory for him, at least until the kids are
grown. The USENET, NNTP protocol, was/is preferable, but on the way to
the pricing bottom, bandwidth got too pricey for all of the news servers
hosted by the small ISP's and the big ones couldn't find a way to
monetize it. Now that choice's are becoming limited, you may not be
paying more, but you may be getting less.

Frank
Eric G
2024-03-28 13:43:16 UTC
Post by Frank Whiteley
Seems like people gave up pretty quickly.
Though I appreciate John DeRosa's effort, long term is not its future. Remember Al
McDonald's Silent Flight? He promised to keep the forum going. Soaring is just a memory
for him, at least until the kids are grown. The USENET, NNTP protocol, was/is preferable,
but on the way to the pricing bottom, bandwidth got too pricey for all of the news servers
hosted by the small ISP's and the big ones couldn't find a way to monetize it. Now that
choice's are becoming limited, you may not be paying more, but you may be getting less.
Frank
RAS_Prime depends on Google continuing to provide Google Groups. It does not depend on
John DeRosa, who can add as many Owners and Moderators as he wishes.