Where's OBTP?
Dan Marotta
2024-02-19 15:54:43 UTC
I had a conversation with Wolfgang about Bob's absence.  Is it possible
that those on google groups have some power over Usenet and can ban
someone such that third parties like me lose the benefit of Bob's vast
experience?  Here's the conversation:

Hi,

That's very odd.  I see subject line postings from Bob but when I click
on the subject I get a very "Windows" looking error message saying that
the message does not exist.  My system is Ubuntu 24.04 (Beta) and
Thunderbird as the reader.

Thanks for looking.

Dan
Hi,
there doesn't seem to be anything I could do about this issue.
There is no user with that name on Eternal-September and the concept
of group membership does not exist on Usenet.
From a cursory look at the rec.aviation.soaring group, I suspect whatever
the problem is, it's a Google Groups issue and has nothing to do with
Eternal-September or even Usenet in general.
On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:52:27 -0700
Rec.Aviation.Soaring
Dan 5J
Tim Newport-Peace
2024-02-19 16:44:24 UTC
Post by Dan Marotta
I had a conversation with Wolfgang about Bob's absence.  Is it possible
that those on google groups have some power over Usenet and can ban
someone such that third parties like me lose the benefit of Bob's vast
Hi,
That's very odd.  I see subject line postings from Bob but when I click
on the subject I get a very "Windows" looking error message saying that
the message does not exist.  My system is Ubuntu 24.04 (Beta) and
Thunderbird as the reader.
Thanks for looking.
Dan
Hi,
there doesn't seem to be anything I could do about this issue.
There is no user with that name on Eternal-September and the concept
of group membership does not exist on Usenet.
From a cursory look at the rec.aviation.soaring group, I suspect
whatever the problem is, it's a Google Groups issue and has nothing to
do with
Eternal-September or even Usenet in general.
On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:52:27 -0700
Rec.Aviation.Soaring
Bob isn't the only one posting from gmail,
Joe Giltner's posts get through for instance.

I've seen Bob's postings briefly via Eternal-September, but when I try
to open them, I get a message saying it is expired!

On 24th December, a posting by ***@gmail.com did get through,
but nothing since.

Is it just when read by Thunderbird that his messages are expired??
T.
Eric G
2024-02-19 17:37:59 UTC
Post by Tim Newport-Peace
I had a conversation with Wolfgang about Bob's absence.  Is it possible that those on
google groups have some power over Usenet and can ban someone such that third parties
Hi,
That's very odd.  I see subject line postings from Bob but when I click on the subject I
get a very "Windows" looking error message saying that the message does not exist.  My
system is Ubuntu 24.04 (Beta) and Thunderbird as the reader.
Thanks for looking.
Dan
Hi,
there doesn't seem to be anything I could do about this issue.
There is no user with that name on Eternal-September and the concept
of group membership does not exist on Usenet.
From a cursory look at the rec.aviation.soaring group, I suspect whatever the problem
is, it's a Google Groups issue and has nothing to do with
Eternal-September or even Usenet in general.
On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:52:27 -0700
Rec.Aviation.Soaring
Bob isn't the only one posting from gmail,
Joe Giltner's posts get through for instance.
I've seen Bob's postings briefly via Eternal-September, but when I try to open them, I get
a message saying it is expired!
Is it just when read by Thunderbird that his messages are expired??
T.
I never see an original Old Bob posting, but I do see them "second hand" when other people
reply to his original posting.
Eric G
Charlie M. (UH, Pi & 002 owner/pilot)
2024-02-19 17:52:45 UTC
I had a conversation with Wolfgang about Bob's absence. Is it possible
that those on google groups have some power over Usenet and can ban
someone such that third parties like me lose the benefit of Bob's vast
Hi,
That's very odd. I see subject line postings from Bob but when I click
on the subject I get a very "Windows" looking error message saying that
the message does not exist. My system is Ubuntu 24.04 (Beta) and
Thunderbird as the reader.
Thanks for looking.
Dan
Hi,
there doesn't seem to be anything I could do about this issue.
There is no user with that name on Eternal-September and the concept
of group membership does not exist on Usenet.
From a cursory look at the rec.aviation.soaring group, I suspect whatever
the problem is, it's a Google Groups issue and has nothing to do with
Eternal-September or even Usenet in general.
On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:52:27 -0700
Rec.Aviation.Soaring
--
Dan 5J
I see his posts directly here, like his "T minus" recent posts as he counts down the end of this section.
iPad, old OS and Safari. No reader/filters used.
youngbl...@gmail.com
Hey guys, I am alive and well, still towing gliders and flying sailplanes and yes, posting on RAS, soon to come T-Minus 3, lets get ready to rumble. See all of you hopefully at Cloudbase. OBTP
Dan Marotta
2024-02-19 18:31:49 UTC
I got a notice of a reply from Bob, but a message that the article was
expired.

Dan 5J

2024-02-19 22:26:58 UTC
Glad it wasn't OBTP that expired!
youngbl...@gmail.com
2024-02-19 23:03:23 UTC
Post by Dan Marotta
I got a notice of a reply from Bob, but a message that the article was
expired.
Dan 5J
Glad it wasn't OBTP that expired!
If I had expired old 2G, that pompous ass, would be having a block party. OBTP